Request a Mentor
For your reference, the questions on the mentee application appear below.
The Submittable application will also ask you to upload a sample of your current work. For fiction, creative nonfiction, and playwriting, we ask to see 10 pages. For poetry, please submit 5-10 poems.
These are the questions we ask mentees when they apply:
- What would you like to achieve as a writer? Include both short- and long-term goals.
- Tell us about your experiences as a writer, as well as where you are in the writing process.
- What types of guidance are you hoping to receive from your mentor (e.g.; journal submissions, writing a query letter, manuscript development)?
- Are you interested in receiving a mentor who is able to provide guidance from the perspective of a specific literary field (e.g.; travel writing, young adult fiction) or community (e.g.; LGBTQ writers, Chicano poets)?
- What have you already tried in terms of finding writing guidance? Have you ever had a mentor? Are you part of a writers' group?
- What would you like to gain from AWP’s Mentor Program? What can AWP do to help you reach these goals?
- What are you hoping to gain from your relationship with a mentor?
- Weekly, how much time do you anticipate spending on Writer to Writer? Include time spent both communicating with your mentor and preparing for those conversations.
- Describe your preferred method of communication (Skype, phone, email, etc.).
- How did you hear about Writer to Writer? If you were referred to the program, please provide the person's name.