#AWP24 Health & Safety Policy
AWP continues to monitor the evolving situation regarding COVID-19 in relation to large gatherings. We will provide updates as guidance from the CDC, state, and local public health recommendations change. AWP asks all attendees to follow regulations and to make informed choices about travel, conducting yourself on-site, and your engagement with external venues and groups while in Kansas City, Missouri.
Our goal is to host a safe and valuable conference for the AWP community. We recognize that the situation may evolve and change as we approach February 2024. Please check back to this webpage for updates.
AWP will mirror the COVID-19 precautions of Kansas City, Jackson County, and Missouri State.
Recent Health & Safety Updates
Latest guidance from the Kansas City
Latest guidance from Jackson County, Missouri
Latest guidance from the Center for Disease Control (CDC)
AWP strongly encourages all attendees to be vaccinated against COVID-19 and boosted as recommended. Currently, per national and regional guidelines for large gatherings, vaccinations are not required.
AWP strongly encourages mask-wearing in all conference spaces. At this time, per national and regional guidelines for large gatherings, mask-wearing is encouraged, but not required. AWP will have a limited number of masks for attendees on-site.
Exposure & Positive Cases
If you have been exposed to an individual with a confirmed case of COVID-19 within ten days prior to the event, we encourage you to obtain a negative PCR test before you arrive in Kansas City, and to mask diligently while on-site. Review CDC guidance for what to do if you are exposed.
If you are having symptoms or test positive for COVID-19, please stay home and do not attend the event.
If you start having symptoms or test positive during the conference, please immediately isolate yourself, notify any roommates or people you have been in close contact with, and wear a mask until you can safely travel home. Do not attend AWP programming if you are sick.
If you do not have a PCR test with you on-site, a limited number will be available at the first-aid station outside of Exhibit Hall D. The EMT at this station can provide further health guidance if you test positive.
AWP recommends all attendees, exhibitors, and AWP staff and board comply with all travel guidelines issued by the CDC when travelling to Kansas City, Missouri.
For those who are not comfortable attending in person, AWP offers a virtual-only registration at a reduced rate. The virtual-only registration includes on-demand access to many prerecorded panel discussions and readings and select live-streamed events from the in-person conference. Virtual registrants can expect over fifty hours of content between prerecorded & live events.
Kansas City Convention Center takes several precautions to minimize risk of infectious disease spread, including:
- MERV-13 air filters, installed in 2021, which are the recommended level to combat air transmission of COVID-19 in facilities
- More than 100 hand sanitizer stations are set up throughout the facility
- Cleaning products utilized are Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)-approved for use against infectious agents
- Staff frequently cleans and disinfects high touch surfaces, and is trained on cleaning process annually
Marriott properties, including the Kansas City Marriott Downtown, follow its Commitment to Clean guidance. Some measures Marriott is taking include:
- Several enhancements to cleaning practices throughout the property and in guest rooms. Every guest room is thoroughly cleaned and disinfected prior to arrival. Daily housekeeping refresh service is currently being reactivated but guests have the opportunity to decline service if preferred.
- Enhanced Public Space Cleaning: Marriott has increased the frequency of cleaning and disinfection, particularly in areas with high traffic including restrooms, elevators, and escalators as well as provided more hand sanitizing stations.
- Room Amenities: Disinfectant wipes are available upon request.
- Meeting Space: Marriott continues to provide hand sanitizing stations in public areas and meeting rooms.
- Marriott Bonvoy App offers additional options such as Mobile Check-In/Check-Out with Mobile Key, Mobile Dining, and Mobile Guest Requests.
All #AWP24 purchases are nonrefundable, including registration, bookfair, and reception sales. If you are unsure of whether you would like to attend the conference, we encourage you to wait to purchase in case your plans change.
We have once again this year extended the early-bird rate until November 20 to give attendees more time to decide whether they would like to attend at the lowest cost.
A registration may be transferred to another individual provided this individual is not already registered, the registration is used for the same conference, and the individual qualifies for the type of registration being transferred. For example, a student registration can only be transferred to another student. For more information about registration transfers, please contact email@example.com.
If you have a confirmed case of COVID-19 within ten days of February 7, the first day of the conference, and can no longer attend #AWP24, or if you develop symptoms or test positive for COVID-19 over the days of the conference and would like to get a refund equal to the difference between your in-person registration and a virtual registration, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Because of the influx of conference emails, we will most likely not be able to respond to your request until later in February, after the conference is over. All in-person registrations include virtual access, so if you can’t attend in person, we hope you enjoy the virtual content available while we process your request.