2024 Writer to Agent
AWP is pleased to offer registered conference attendees the opportunity to apply to meet with literary agents at the #AWP24 Conference & Bookfair. All registered attendees, including both in-person and virtual-only attendees, are welcome to submit to Writer to Agent. These agents are seeking new clients to represent in fiction and nonfiction.
Literary agents from Aevitas Creative Management, Ayesha Pande Literary, Folio Literary Management, The Friedrich Agency, Serendipity Literary Agency, and Trellis Literary Management will read and review applications on a rolling basis to find prospective clients to meet with at the conference. If the literary agency is interested in the author’s work, they will contact the applicant directly to schedule a day and time to meet during #AWP24.
Submissions open on Monday, November 6, 2023 and will be reviewed on a rolling basis. We encourage applicants to submit as soon as possible. The deadline for submission is 11:59 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 17, 2024.
How to Submit
- Only registered attendees of the #AWP24 Conference & Bookfair are eligible to submit.
- Submit a query letter along with the first five pages of a novel, essay collection, narrative nonfiction book manuscript, or short story collection as one document via the link to the Writer to Agent Submittable form. The Writer to Agent Submittable form is hidden and can only be accessed through this webpage for registered attendees.
- Your submission document should be saved and submitted according to your type of project and your name (ProjectType_LastName_FirstName); for example, “Novel_Lee_MinJin” or “Essays_Smith_Zadie.” Clearly indicating the type of project in your submission title helps the participating agents sort through the submissions more easily.
- The five-page writing sample should be double-spaced in Times New Roman, 12-point font.
- Query letters are comprised of a description of the book and the author’s bio. If you have questions about writing and submitting a query letter, review the Writer to Agent Web Series episode for instructions and tips.
- Agents from each of the six participating agencies will read the query letters and submissions. You may address your query letter to “agent.”
- Indicate in the query letter if the submission has been published in a magazine or journal.
- Indicate in the query letter if you are actively querying the project or if the project is still in progress.
- Submissions are limited to one per conference attendee. If you are working on multiple projects, you can only pitch one but may very briefly mention other projects towards the end of your query letter: i.e. “I am also working on a young adult novel.” Multiple submissions will be removed from consideration.
- Submissions in poetry are not eligible.
- If you are contacted by a participating agent and have already received and/or are considering another offer of representation, please let the participating agent know right away.
- If you accept an offer of representation after submitting to Writer to Agent, please immediately withdraw your submission to Writer to Agent.
Terms & Conditions
- The opportunity to meet with agents is solely at the discretion of Aevitas Creative Management, Ayesha Pande Literary, Folio Literary Management, The Friedrich Agency, Serendipity Literary Agency, and Trellis Literary Management.
- AWP facilitates this service as a benefit to conference attendees but does not participate in reviewing applications.
- Meeting with an agent does not constitute a partnership or relationship or establish representation on behalf of the agency.
- AWP, Aevitas Creative Management, Ayesha Pande Literary, Folio Literary Management, The Friedrich Agency, Serendipity Literary Agency, and Trellis Literary Management make no claims as to the probability applicants will be selected to meet with an agent.
- Applications are only accepted via Submittable. Aevitas Creative Management, Ayesha Pande Literary, Folio Literary Management, The Friedrich Agency, Serendipity Literary Agency, and Trellis Literary Management will not respond to any inquiries about submissions or the Writer to Agent program.
- Due to the volume of applications, feedback is not possible for applicants who are not selected.
Submit to Writer to Agent
There are two easy ways to view the Writer to Agent submission information:
Not yet registered for #AWP24? Register now.