2019 Writer to Agent
AWP is pleased to offer registered conference attendees the opportunity to apply to meet with literary agents at the #AWP19 Conference & Bookfair in Portland. These agents are seeking new clients to represent in fiction and nonfiction.
Literary agents from Aevitas Creative Management, Ayesha Pande Literary, and Folio Literary Management will read and review applications on a rolling basis to find prospective clients to meet with at the conference. If the literary agency is interested in the author’s work, they will contact the applicant directly to schedule a day and time to meet in Portland.
How to Submit
- Only registered attendees of the #AWP19 Conference & Bookfair in Portland are eligible.
- Submit a query letter along with the first five pages of a novel, essay collection, narrative nonfiction book manuscript, or short story collection as one document via the “Writer to Agent” link in AWP’s Submittable account. The Writer to Agent page is hidden and can only be accessed through this webpage for registered attendees.
- The five-page submission should be double-spaced in Times New Roman, 12-point font, and the document should be saved according to your name (LastName_FirstName); for example, “Proulx_Annie.”
- Query letters are comprised of a description of the book and the author’s bio. If you have questions about writing and submitting a query letter, review the Writer to Agent Web Series episode for instructions and tips.
- Indicate in the query letter if the submission has been published in a magazine or journal.
- Agents from each of the three participating agencies will read the query letters and submissions. You may address your query letter to “agent.”
- Submissions in poetry are not eligible.
- Submissions are limited to one per conference attendee. If you are working on multiple projects, you can only pitch one, but may very briefly mention other projects towards the end of your query letter: i.e. “I am also working on a young adult novel.” Multiple submissions will be removed from consideration.
- Submissions open on Monday, December 3, 2018, and will be reviewed on a rolling basis. We encourage applicants to submit as soon as possible. The deadline for submission is 11:59 p.m. ET on Thursday, January 31, 2019.
Terms & Conditions
- The opportunity to meet with agents is solely at the discretion of Aevitas Creative Management, Ayesha Pande Literary, and Folio Literary Management.
- AWP facilitates this service as a benefit to conference attendees, but does not participate in reviewing applications.
- Meeting with an agent does not constitute a partnership, relationship, or establish representation on behalf of the agency.
- AWP, Aevitas Creative Management, Ayesha Pande Literary, and Folio Literary Management make no claims as to the probability applicants will be selected to meet with an agent.
- Applications are only accepted via Submittable. Aevitas Creative Management, Ayesha Pande Literary, and Folio Literary Management will not respond to any inquiries about submissions or the Writer to Agent program.
- Due to the volume of applications, feedback is not possible for applicants who are not selected.
Submit to Writer to Agent
There are two easy ways to view the Writer to Agent submission information:
Not yet registered for #AWP19? Register now.