Institutional Membership for Creative Writing Programs
Formed in 1967 by fifteen writers representing thirteen writing programs, AWP provides essential support to creative writing programs. By joining AWP, your program will benefit from a lively network of writers, teachers, and fellow program directors. Our services will help you and your program provide the best possible education for your students. Among academic associations, AWP is extraordinary in that it provides so many services directly to students—our magazine, our Job List, career advice, and access to more than 1,100 essays on the craft of writing for members only.
Institutional dues are based on the number of faculty and students in your program. Each bracket determines how many faculty and students may have access to our publications, website, and other membership benefits. A discount applies for early renewals. To have AWP staff handle the online administrative functions of your membership for you, select the concierge rate checkbox when you join or renew an organizational membership.
Membership Rates for Creative Writing Programs
|*Please call us if you wish to supply more than 140 students and faculty members with our services.|
|Number of faculty and students||Annual dues if paid before Aug. 1||Annual dues if paid after Aug. 1|
|20 or fewer||$490||$540|
|21 – 40||$590||$640|
|41 – 60||$690||$740|
|61 – 80||$780||$830|
|81 – 100||$860||$910|
|101 – 120||$930||$980|
AWP institutional membership is also available to international programs. Two options are available. The digital option gives faculty and students access to AWP’s digital publications, including the members-only sections of our website and our apps for the tablet version of the Writers’ Chronicle. The digital and print option gives faculty and students access to both the print version of the Chronicle as well as the members-only sections of our website. See the list below for other benefits. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for membership rates specific to your country.
Creative Writing Program Membership Benefits
Faculty and students who belong to AWP member institutions receive the following benefits and services:
Subscriptions to the Writer's Chronicle, published six times a year. Twenty or more copies of each issue will be mailed to your program for distribution to your students and faculty. Students and faculty also have free access to the Chronicle app.
- Access to the members-only content on our website, including:
- our Directory of Members.
- the Writer’s Calendar, which features information on literary events, publishing opportunities, grants, and awards.
- advice on how to conduct your job search.
- searchable archive of more than 1,000 articles from the Writer’s Chronicle.
- comprehensive information about writing programs, conferences, and colonies.
- documents useful to teachers and administrators of writing programs.
- the Job List, which offers listings of academic and nonacademic jobs and internships for writers. Every other month, we publish an informative article that provides advice and information on your career options. Our job listings are updated weekly.
- An entry in the AWP Guide to Writing Programs that indicates your program is a member of AWP. Member program listings contain an in-depth program description and accompanying images. A member listing in the Guide is the most effective way to promote your program among prospective students.
- Promotion of your program. By joining AWP, you are supporting our many efforts to support creative writing programs, including yours. AWP's Guide to Writing Programs, our Annual Conference & Bookfair, and our publications highlight our member programs. AWP is a key source of information for students choosing writing programs. Our website generates an average of 44,000 unique visitors a month, and our conference attracts more than 10,000 attendees.
- Participation in the AWP Program Directors' Meeting, which convenes at the annual conference. The meeting provides program directors with a forum to share information.
- Participation in the Intro Journals Project, a venue for publishing the best student work from our member programs.
- A 50% discount on AWP Award Series entry fees for your faculty and students.
- Member discounts for your faculty and students on registrations to AWP’s Annual Conference & Bookfair.
- Students and faculty members are eligible to participate in AWP’s Writer to Writer mentorship program, a free service that pairs new and established writers.
- Free use of Interfolio's ByCommittee service, which allows electronic review of teaching applicants' dossiers.
- A member discount on advertising rates in the Writer’s Chronicle and on our website.
- Discounts on mailing list rentals.
- Advocacy to support professional standards and fair treatment of creative writing faculty and programs.
- Technical assistance and support toward the development of your writing program.
- A network that supports writers, the art of writing, and contemporary literature. AWP works with other organizations to support freedom of expression, public funding for the arts, high standards in education, fair tax laws for authors, and other policies helpful to writers, publishers, teachers, and readers.