AWP Hiring Assistant Web Developer
July 25, 2022
ASSISTANT WEB DEVELOPER
The purpose of this position is to provide application development and support for AWP’s staff and customer-facing website applications.
The Assistant Web Developer is responsible for working on website development projects. This involves creating new site functionality, troubleshooting and fixing bugs, and writing scripts and code. This is a part-time position, averaging 20 hours per week. The Assistant Web Developer will report directly to the Director of Technology and work closely with the Web Developer on various programming needs that arise. The Assistant Web Developer will also collaborate with all AWP staff members.
Although this job is remote, the applicant must reside in Maryland, Washington D.C., or Virginia.
- Support all assigned application and database development and maintenance projects, ensuring accurate and timely completion.
- Provide end-user support, including problem diagnosis, correction, and documentation.
- Assist in website-related or other digital projects.
- Troubleshoot and fix bugs that arise.
- As directed, develop website sections and new functionality on both the front and back end.
- Create APIs to connect platforms for data transfer.
- Create and maintain reports requested by AWP staff members.
- Perform thorough testing of website functionality before project launch.
- Assist in the requirements phase for developing new projects or functionality.
- Work with the Technology team and consultants on all stages of any website redesign project.
- Provide helpful and prompt responses to requests and problems from AWP staff.
- Reviews and responds to work request tickets and communications and technology teams.
- Assist with setup, testing, and troubleshooting computer systems onsite at the annual conference.
- Carry out other duties as reasonably requested by the Webmaster.
Required Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science/information technology.
- Two years of related work experience.
- Knowledge and experience in supporting MySQL database or related database types.
- Knowledge and experience with AWS server, EC2 Instance.
- Proficient knowledge of integrating third party systems using API web services (REST/SOAP, SDK), SFTP.
- Experience building custom applications, modifications, integrations, data conversion routines, and custom reports.
- Ability to translate experience to solve client business, process, and application issues creatively.
- Ability to work independently with strong communication skills, attention to detail, and a desire to succeed.
- Ability to work in an agile environment and manage multiple projects
- $30 per hour while averaging 20 hours per week.
- AWP offers our part-time employees paid sick leave.
- 401k plan with a 6% match after the first three months.
Please send a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Assistant Web Developer” in the email's subject line.
Background of the Organization
AWP provides support, advocacy, resources, and community for nearly 50,000 writers, 550 college and university creative writing programs, and 150 writers’ conferences and centers. As a national professional association of creative writers and writing programs, AWP brings together independent writers, academic writing programs, journals, presses, and arts organizations, united by a love for the literary arts. In addition to hosting the largest annual gathering of writers in North America, AWP builds supportive communities through its extensive website, thriving mentorship program, and magazine dedicated to the craft of writing.
AWP is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization founded in 1967. Our mission is to amplify the voices of writers and the academic programs and organizations that serve them while championing diversity and excellence in creative writing.
Our staff is passionate about writers and writing programs. Diversity, equity, and inclusion are at the forefront of our work amid calls for racial justice and changing conditions. We continue to refine and add value to existing programs that have proven to be beneficial to our members and the literary community.
AWP is an equal opportunity employer and encourages all applicants regardless of race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, or any other protected characteristic. AWP is committed to having a workforce that reflects the diversity of the population that it serves at all levels within the organization. For more information on the Association of Writers & Writing Programs, please visit www.awpwriter.org.