AWP Hiring Full-Time Senior Publications Editor
May 8, 2023
SENIOR PUBLICATIONS EDITOR
Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Senior Publications Editor” in the subject line of the email.
The Senior Publications Editor is responsible for the production and electronic distribution of AWP’s long-standing publication The Writer’s Chronicle, as well as managing several literary competitions under the umbrella of the AWP Award Series. The individual in this role must have the ability to think strategically and create new ideas, pathways, and outreach to take The Writer’s Chronicle to the next level.
This is a senior level, full-time, remote position, with travel to the annual conference required one week per year. The Publications Editor reports directly to the Director of Membership Services and collaborates with other departments as needed to ensure a cohesive magazine that is relevant and engaging for AWP members and subscribers.
Administrative and Strategic
- Produces four regular issues of The Writer’s Chronicle per year and special and/or themed issues as instructed by the executive director and director of membership services
- Grows readership by ensuring content quality and marketing strategically
- Solicits submissions and selects pieces that are varied, engaging, informative, and timely
- Arranges content order and edits submissions for clarity and mechanics
- Creates magazine layout, including submitted advertisements, in InDesign and ensures proper flow and accessibility for readers
- Ensures end product conforms to standards in third-party publishing software and makes adjustments where necessary to facilitate a seamless reading experience
- Secures accomplished judges and readers for AWP Award Series and maintains clear communication with them through contest completion
- Communicates with award series winners and sponsoring presses
- Promotes the competitions and processes necessary paperwork for judges and send honorarium information for processing
- Keeps TWC contributor and Award Series winner contracts up-to-date
- Provides excellent customer service to the membership
- Actively works toward creating new revenue streams, including supplements to TWC and/or additional issues
- Works with the Publications Deputy Editor to produce and market magazine
- Consults regularly with the director of membership to ensure that TWC is in line with AWP’s mission and the needs of stakeholders
- Collaborates with the publications committee of the AWP board to determine the direction and focus of upcoming issues of TWC
- Suggests improvements to TWC and the Award Series processes
- Compiles TWC content and readership reports for the publications committee and full board
- Assists on-site at the weeklong annual conference as instructed by the director of conferences
- Assists the director of membership with the yearly budget process
- Works with advertising coordinator to increase revenues
- Takes on reasonable projects as directed by the Director of Membership Services and Executive Director
Work Environment and Physical Demands
- Work involves potential pressures generated by volume of work, frequent interruptions, seasonal work periods, and irregular hours to meet deadlines and achieve objectives
- Work includes speaking, listening, reading, extended periods of computer operation, possibly sitting for long periods, and some travel.
Note: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change, or new ones may be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Required Skills & Qualifications
- Extensive experience soliciting and approving submissions and editing selections for publication
- Advanced knowledge of Adobe suite of products, especially InDesign
- Advanced knowledge of the Chicago Manual of Style
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office products & Submittable
- Impeccable time management skills and attention to detail
- Exceptional written communication abilities
- Familiarity with literary news, trends, and controversies
- Knowledge of BlueToad publishing platform a plus
Background of the Organization
AWP provides support, advocacy, resources, and community for nearly 50,000 writers, 550 college and university creative writing programs, and 150 writers’ conferences and centers. As a national professional association of creative writers and writing programs, AWP brings together independent writers, academic writing programs, journals, presses, and arts organizations, united by a love for the literary arts. In addition to hosting the largest annual gathering of writers in North America, AWP builds supportive communities through its extensive website, thriving mentorship program, and magazine dedicated to the craft of writing.
AWP is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization founded in 1967. Our mission is to amplify the voices of writers and the academic programs and organizations that serve them while championing diversity and excellence in creative writing.
Our staff is passionate about writers and writing programs. Diversity, equity, and inclusion are at the forefront of our work amid calls for racial justice and changing conditions. We continue to refine and add value to existing programs that have proven to be beneficial to our members and the literary community.
AWP is an equal opportunity employer and encourages all applicants regardless of race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, or any other protected characteristic. AWP is committed to having a workforce that reflects the diversity of the population that it serves at all levels within the organization.
Salary: $70,000. AWP offers a generous benefits package including health, dental, and vision insurance; PTO/paid holidays; 401k/retirement planning; telework; and a flexible schedule. For more information on the Association of Writers & Writing Programs, please visit www.awpwriter.org.
AWP Joins the Human Artistry Campaign; Stands in Support of the WGA Strike
May 3, 2023
#AWPSpringJAM May Kickoff
May 8, 2023