AWP Hiring Advertising Sales Associate
July 14, 2022
ADVERTISING SALES ASSOCIATE
Please send a cover letter and resume to Miranda González at email@example.com with “Advertising Sales Associate” in the subject line of the email.
The Advertising Sales Associate reports to the Director of Membership Services and manages all advertisement-related duties for AWP—securing and placing advertising for The Writer’s Chronicle, the conference program and planner, the enewsletter, and ads across the AWP website. This is a remote, part-time position (20 hours per week).
The Advertising Sales Associate is responsible for
Lead Generation and Sales
- Soliciting advertising for The Writer’s Chronicle, the AWP website, the conference planner, the enewsletter, and the annual conference program.
- Developing long-term relationships and assisting current and new clients with any needs they may have. This can include answering follow-up questions, discussing various ad options, providing clients with tear sheets/screen shots, and assisting them with the payment process.
- Researching new leads and contacting potential clients through various means, including cold calls and emails. Once in contact with potential clients, advertising sales associate explains what AWP can offer and provides specific advertising benefits. The Associate is responsible for tracking progress with these potential clients and providing lead progress reports to the Director of Membership.
- Marketing AWP’s advertising opportunities through ad drives and other means.
- Focusing lead generation efforts by analyzing existing ad clients and membership base.
- Monitoring current marketplace information on ad pricing, products, new products, and delivery methods.
- Recommends changes in products, service, and policy by evaluating results and sales developments.
Administrative & Other
- Overseeing the sales pipeline.
- Maintaining detailed database of ads placed, client information, invoicing, and payment.
- Issuing invoices in a timely manner and following up on any unpaid invoices.
- Assisting clients with advertising copy and coordinating the production and scheduling of advertising in collaboration with other departments
- Keeping management informed by submitting activity and results reports, such as daily call reports, weekly work plans, and monthly and annual ad analyses.
- Resolving customer complaints by investigating problems, developing solutions, and making recommendations to management.
- Assisting at the annual AWP Conference & Bookfair in accordance with job assigned on a yearly basis.
- Other duties as requested by the Director of Membership Services or the Executive Director.
- Maintaining good professional relations with advertising clients, printing vendors, AWP membership, board, staff, and the faculty, staff, and students of the host institution
- Coordinating with Director of Membership and communications team to place enewsletter ads.
- Working closely with Director of Membership and the communications and web teams to place all online advertisements.
- Coordinating with the Director of Publications to place Chronicle ads.
- Working with the Director of Conferences to place all conference-related ads, including sponsorship advertising.
Required Skills and Qualifications
- Proven sales record
- Impeccable organization and follow-through skills
- Quick response to all inquiries and requests
- Exceptional communication abilities
- Great attention to detail
- Customer management skills
- Microsoft Office proficiency, including Word and Excel
- Experience selling in the literary vertical is a plus
- Familiarity with Filemaker is a plus
$25 per hour + commission on all ad bookings after yearly sales goal is reached. AWP offers part-time employees paid sick leave and a 401k plan with a 6 percent match after the first three months.
Background of the Organization
AWP provides support, advocacy, resources, and community for nearly 50,000 writers, 550 college and university creative writing programs, and 150 writers’ conferences and centers. As a national professional association of creative writers and writing programs, AWP brings together independent writers, academic writing programs, journals, presses, and arts organizations, united by a love for the literary arts. In addition to hosting the largest annual gathering of writers in North America, AWP builds supportive communities through its extensive website, thriving mentorship program, and magazine dedicated to the craft of writing.
AWP is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization founded in 1967. Our mission is to amplify the voices of writers and the academic programs and organizations that serve them while championing diversity and excellence in creative writing.
Our staff is passionate about writers and writing programs. Diversity, equity, and inclusion are at the forefront of our work amid calls for racial justice and changing conditions. We continue to refine and add value to existing programs that have proven to be beneficial to our members and the literary community.
AWP is an equal opportunity employer and encourages all applicants regardless of race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, or any other protected characteristic. AWP is committed to having a workforce that reflects the diversity of the population that it serves at all levels within the organization. For more information on the Association of Writers & Writing Programs, please visit www.awpwriter.org