Ms. R.L. Maizes
Colorado, United States
Member Since: 01/09/2016
My collection of short stories, WE LOVE ANDERSON COOPER, is forthcoming July 2019 from Celadon Books (Macmillan). The short stories have aired on National Public Radio and have appeared in Electric Literature's Required Reading, Witness, Bellevue Literary Review, Blackbird, The Barcelona Review, Slice, The MacGuffin, and elsewhere. My work has received Honorable Mention in Glimmer Train’s Fiction Open Contest, been named finalist in the 2016 International Literary Awards Reynolds Price Prize in Fiction, been longlisted in the Raymond Carver Short Story Contest, and won Slice Magazine’s 2012 Spring Spotlight Competition. One of the stories was named a Notable Story in storySouth’s 2008 Million Writers’ Award. “L’Chaim” was performed as part of Stories on Stage at the Su Teatro Cultural and Performing Arts Center in Denver.
My essays have been published in the New York Times, The Washington Post, Southwest: The Magazine, Spirituality & Health, Lilith, and Moment.
I live in Boulder, CO, with my husband, Steve, and my muses: Arie, a cat who was dropped in the animal shelter’s night box like an overdue library book, and Rosie, a dog who spent her first year homeless in South Dakota and thinks Colorado is downright balmy.
Twitter Username: @RL_Maizes
- WE LOVE ANDERSON COOPER (forthcoming 2019) , Celadon Books (Macmillan) (July 23)
- "The Infidelity of Judah Maccabee" , NPR (December 1, 2012)
- "Collections" , Witness (January 1, 2012)
- "Tattoo" , Bellevue Literary Review (January 1, 2012)
- "Bad Dog" , New York Times (September 10, 2012)
- "Don't Worry, Millennial Underachievers: It's Always Been Tough To Figure Out Your Life." , Washington Post (October 5, 2012)
- "I Know How To Use a Hammer. So Why Do I Let My Husband Do Everything Around the House?" , Washington Post (January 14, 2012)
- "L'Chaim" , Monkeybicycle (July 2, 2012)
- "Mama's Boy" , Slice (April 1, 2012)
- "Couch" , Blackbird (January 1, 2010)
- "Yiddish Lessons" , The MacGuffin (January 1, 2009)
- Spotlight Award--Slice Magazine(2012)
- Honorable Mention--Glimmer Train Magazine Fiction Open(2012)
- Finalist--Reynolds Price Prize in Fiction(2012)
- Longlist--Raymond Carver Short Story Award(2012)
Genres of Interest
Fiction, Creative nonfiction