New York, United States
Member Since: 06/13/2012
STEPHEN O’CONNOR is the author of Thomas Jefferson Dreams of Sally Hemings, a novel, and of two collections of short fiction, Here Comes Another Lesson and Rescue, and of two works of nonfiction, Will My Name Be Shouted Out?, a memoir, and Orphan Trains; The Story of Charles Loring Brace and the Children He Saved and Failed, biography/history.
His fiction and poetry have appeared in The New Yorker, Best American Short Stories 2014, Conjunctions, One Story, The Missouri Review, Poetry Magazine, Electric Literature, Agni, Threepenny Review, The Quarterly, Partisan Review, among many other places.
His story, “Ziggurat,” was read by Tim Curry on Selected Shorts in October 2011 and June 2013.
His essays and journalism have been published in The New York Times, DoubleTake, The Nation, Agni, The Chicago Tribune, The Boston Globe, The New Labor Forum, and elsewhere.
He teaches in the MFA program of Sarah Lawrence.
- Thomas Jefferson Dreams of Sally Hemings , Viking Penguin (April 5, 2016)
- Here Comes Another Lesson , Free Press (August 2010)
- Orphan Trains; The Story of Charles Loring Brace and the Children He Saved and Failed , Houghton Mifflin (February 2001)
- Wil My Name Be Shouted Out? , Simon & Schuster (April 1996)
- Rescue , Harmony Books (June 1989)
- Adjunct Professor at Sarah Lawrence/Writing MFA (September 2002 - )
- Bachelor of Arts in English Literature from Columbia University (May 1974)
- Master of Arts in English Literature from U.C. Berkeley (December 1978)
Genres of Interest
Fiction, Creative nonfiction, Poetry