California, United States
Member Since: 05/09/2013
Cecilia Martinez-Gil is the author of Psaltery and Serpentines, a Book of Poems, published by Gival Press (October 2010). The book is also a finalist for the 2010 ForeWord Reviews' Book of the Year Award for Poetry. A finalist in the National "Best Books 2010" Awards for Poetry, and is the Runner-Up for the 2010 Los Angeles Book Festival Poetry Award.
A graduate of USC with a B.A. in Comparative Literature and Cultural Studies, Cecilia Martinez-Gil has an M.A in Spanish from UCLA and an M.A. in English and Creative Writing from Loyola Marymount University. During her tenure at UCLA she taught Spanish, and at LMU she taught English and Intro to Poetry, as a teacher associate and as teaching fellow respectively. Cecilia is Adjunct Professor of the English Department at Santa Monica College where she teaches English and Latin American Literatures, and at Areté Preparatory Academy where she teaches Spanish Language and Hispanics Cultures, and English Literature.
Her poems have been published in Voices, A Santa Monica Women’s College Publication, Anthology of Latin American Writers in Los Angeles, Imaginarias: Antología de Poesía (Ediciones de la Crítica, Montevideo, Uruguay), and in her first chapbook Muecas de Fósforo (Ediciones Caballo de Fuego, Montevideo, Uruguay 1987).
Her work as a journalist/writer (articles, interviews, reviews and critiques) has been published on several Uruguayan newspapers and magazines (1987-1989).
She translated and adapted the critically acclaimed book Escape de Punta Carretas: LA FUGA by Eleuterio Fernández Huidobro, for a film project in 1999. She also co-wrote and played the lead character in the award-winning (SODRE) experimental video Itinerarios ITINERARIOS Video Arte Poesía, directed by Roberto Mascaró (CEMA 1988). She is currently developing poetry projects with renowned musicians and artists, such as Scarlet Rivera, Alphonso Johnson and Levi Hastings.
Martinez-Gil has traveled extensively throughout South America, Western Europe and the Caribbean. Originally from Montevideo, Uruguay, she lives in Santa Monica, California with her husband, Federico Ramos, a composer and guitarist, and their daughter Magaluna, an emergent singer/songwriter.
Twitter Username: @@CeciMarGilPoet
- Psaltery and Serpentines , Gival Press (October 10, 2010)
- Gival Press Poetry Award 2009(2010)
- ForeWord Reviews' Book of the Year Award for Poetry: Finalist(2010)
- National "Best Books 2010" Awards for Poetry: Finalist(2010)
- 2010 Los Angeles Book Festival Poetry Award: Runner Up(2010)
- Professional Development Award LMU(2012)
- Teaching Fellow Award LMU(2012)
- Credential Development Scholarship LMU(2011)
- Spring Merit Award LMU (2012)
- Spring Merit Award LMU(2011)
- Teaching Fellowship LMU(2011)
- Teaching Fellowship LMU(2010)
- Summer Research Fellowship UCLA (2009)
- Comparative Literature Honors Program USC(2006)
- Adjunct Professor of English at Santa Monica College (August 2012 - )
- Professor of Spanish Language and of English Literature at Arete Preparatory Academy (August 2015 - )
- Teaching Fellow at Loyola Marymount University (August 2010 - June 2012)
- Teaching Associate/Assistant at University of California, Los Angeles (August 2007 - June 2010)
- Master of Arts in English and Creative Writing from Loyola Marymount University (June 2012)
- Master of Arts in Spanish and Hispanic Languages&Literatures from University of California, Los Angeles (June 2010)
- Bachelor of Arts in Comparative Literature and Cultural Studies from University of Southern California (June 2006)
Genres of Interest
Fiction, Creative nonfiction, Poetry