Alaska, United States
Vered Mares was born into a household of poets, writers, artists and musicians. As a child, Vered explored the high deserts of northern New Mexico at Ghost Ranch near Georgia O’Keeffe’s home, while her father taught poetry and writing workshops. She has designed over 100 books and illustrated many others. Vered’s body of work includes calendars, business packages, logos, signs, screen, litho and intaglio prints. She has also designed and built large-scale commercial art projects.
Vered earned a BFA from Boise State University in Visual Arts, focusing on ceramics, printing and sculpture. While at the university, she studied under Professor George Roberts and M. Clare Trerise, helping to develop and test non-toxic printing methods including water based inks, and new etching compounds. She has designed books for award winning authors Angel Gonzales of Spain, E.A. “Tony” Mares of New Mexico, and nationally syndicated cartoonist, Chad Carpenter of Alaska. Vered studied poetry with writer and poet Patricia Clark Smith at the University of New Mexico in the early 90s. She was one of the founding members and incorporators of AGIA Alaska (the professional association for design) in 2010, and subscribes to the ethics and standards set forth by AIGA Alaska. She has a core belief in quality, hard work and creativity. Vered is currently working toward her MFA in nonfiction at the University of Alaska Anchorage.
- This List by James P. Sweeney , VP&D House, Inc. (December 1, 2011)
- Alaska Expedition: Marine Life Solidarity by James P. Sweeney , VP&D House, Inc. (March 15, 2012)
- Turn Again by Kris Farmen , VP&D House, Inc. (October 1, 2012)
- Hotline (Series of four titles) by Carolyn Meyer , VP&D House, Inc. (September 19, 2012)
- Weathered Edge (by Kris Farmen, Martha Amore and Buffy McKay) , VP&D House, Inc. (June 1, 2013)
- Defiance Street: Poems and Other Writings by Sandra Kleven , VP&D House, Inc. (December 15, 2013)
- Publisher/Editor at Vered Publishing & Design House, Inc. (VP&D House) (April 2011 - )
- Art Director at Todd Communications/Alaska Print Brokers (December 2006 - )
- Education Director at AIGA Alaska (October 2011 - March 2012)
- Treasurer/Finance Director at AIGA Alaska (March 2009 - March 2012)
- Bachelor of Fine Arts in Visual Art & Print Making from Boise State University (May 1999)
Genres of Interest
Fiction, Creative nonfiction, Children's literature , Poetry