Florida, United States
Member Since: 10/29/2015
Barbara Hamby is the author of four books of poems, most recently Babel (2004) and All-Night Lingo Tango (2009) from the University of Pittsburgh Press. She was a 2010 Guggenheim fellow in Poetry and her book of short stories, Lester Higata’s 20th Century, won the 2010 Iowa Short Fiction Award.
Her first book of poems, Delirium (1995) won the Vassar Miller Prize and two awards for the best first book of 1996: The Kate Tufts Award and the Poetry Society of America’s Norma Farber Award. Her second book of poems, The Alphabet of Desire (1999), won the New York University Press Prize and was cited as one of the 25 best books of the year by the New York City Public Library. Her poems have appeared in Best American Poetry 2000, 2009, and 2010.
Her new and selected poems, On the Street of Divine Love, was published in 2014 by the University of Pittsburgh Press.
She is Distinguished University Scholar at Florida State University.
- On the Street of Divine Love: New and Selected Poems , University of Pittsburgh Press (January 2014)
- All-Night Lingo Tango , University of Pittsburgh Press (2009)
- Lester Higata's 20th Century , University of Iowa Press (November 2010)
- Guggenheim Fellowship(2010)
- NEA Fellowship Poetry(1996)
Genres of Interest