Michigan, United States
Member Since: 03/19/2013
Melissa Grunow is the author of I Don’t Belong Here (forthcoming from New Meridian Arts Press in September 2018) and Realizing River City: A Memoir (Tumbleweed Books, 2016), which was selected as the overall Second Place Winner-Nonfiction in the Independent Author Network's 2016 Book of the Year Awards, winner of the "Outstanding Memoir" category and finalist for the "First Book-Nonfiction" category, as well the recipient of the Silver Medal Award-Memoir from the Readers' Favorites International Book Competition.
Melissa's writing has appeared in Creative Nonfiction, River Teeth, The Nervous Breakdown, New Plains Review, and Blue Lyra Review, among many others. She is also a live storyteller who participated in the 2016 Metro Detroit Listen to Your Mother show, occasionally competes in The Moth StorySLAM, and participates in local storytelling salons.
Melissa holds a Bachelor of Science in English-creative writing and journalism from Central Michigan University, a Master of Arts in English from New Mexico State University, and a Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing with distinction from National University.
Twitter Username: @melgrunow
- I Don't Belong Here: Essays , New Meridian Arts Press (September 1, 2018)
- Realizing River City: A Memoir , Tumbleweed Books (February 14, 2016)
- Silver Medal-Memoir from Readers' Favorite Book Award(2017)
- Second Place-Nonfiction: Independent Author Network Book of the Year(2016)
- Outstanding Memoir: Independent Author Network(2016)
- Finalist-First Book Nonfiction(2016)
- Bachelor of Arts in English and journalism from Central Michigan University (May 2002)
- Master of Arts in English from New Mexico State University (May 2004)
- Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing/creative nonfiction from National University (January 2015)
Genres of Interest
Fiction, Creative nonfiction