Millicent Borges Accardi
California, United States
Member Since: 12/15/1990
Millicent Borges Accardi , a Portuguese-American poet is the author of four books: Injuring Eternity, Only More So, Through a Grainy Landscape and Quarantine Highway. Accardi is the recipient of fellowships from the National Endowment for the Arts (NEA), CantoMundo, the California Arts Council, Fundação Luso-Americana (FLAD), Barbara Deming Foundation, Foundation for Contemporary Arts (NYC Covid grant), Yaddo, Formby Special Collections at Texas Tech. Her poetry collection Injuring Eternity received honorable mention at the Latino Book Awards in 2012.
She organizes the literary series, Kale Soup for the Soul, Portuguese-American writers reading work about family, food and culture. https://www.facebook.com/KaleSoupfortheSoul and co-curates the Poets &Writers sponsored poetry series Loose Lips in Los Angeles.
Past artist residencies include Yaddo, Jentel, Vermont Studio, Fundación Valparaíso in Mojacar, Milkwood in Cesky Krumlov and Disquiet in Lisbon. Accardi has been visiting faculty at The Muse Writers Center in Norfolk, VA and “The Gathering” at Keystone College in PA.
Her poetry has appeared in over 200 publications, including Nimrod, Tampa Review, New Letters and Wallace Stevens Journal as well as in 25 anthologies, including the popular Boomer Girls (Iowa Press). Recent work can be found in Verdad; Babalonia; InterDISCIPLINARY Journal of Portuguese Diaspora Studies, Mantis: A Journal of Poetry, Criticism & Translation, and the anthology, The Gavea-Brown Book of Portuguese-American Poetry. Accardi’s interviews and reviews are inThe Writers Chronicle (AWP), Another Chcago Magazine, SmokeLong Quarterly, Portuguese-American Journal. She was Interview Editor for Poets Quarterly and a contributing editor for the Portuguese American Journal. She received degrees in English and literature from CSULB and a masters in professional writing from USC. She works as a freelance writer.
For more news, follow her on IG and Twitter @TopangaHippie or at Academia.edu.
Twitter Username: @TopangaHippie
- Injuring Eternity , World Nouveau Press (December 27, 2010)
- Only More So , Salmon Poetry (April 29, 2016)
- Through a Grainy Landscape , New Meridian Arts Press (November 20, 2021)
- Quarantine Highway , FlowerSong Press (October 19, 2022)
- National Endowment for the Arts(1997)
- CantoMundo Fellowship(2011)
- California Arts Council Poetry Grant(2002)
- Fundação Luso-Americanato (FLAD)(2013)
- Formby Fellowship (2010)
- Barbara Deming Foundation (Money for Women)(2002)
- Foundation for Contemporary Arts(2020)
- Bachelor of Arts in English from California State University Long Beach
- Master of Arts in English Literature (ABT) from California State University Long Beach
- Master of Fine Arts in Masters in Professional Writing from University of Southern California (1993)
Genres of Interest
Creative nonfiction, Playwriting, Poetry