Catherine Abbey Hodges
California, United States
Member Since: 02/18/2013
Catherine Abbey Hodges is the author of the poetry collection Instead of Sadness (Gunpowder Press, 2015), selected by Dan Gerber as winner of the inaugural Barry Spacks Poetry Prize, and the chapbook All the While (Finishing Line Press, 2006), a finalist in the New Women’s Voices competition. Her poems have appeared in print and online journals including The Southern Review, Tar River Poetry, Cider Press Review, Askew, and Connotation Press, and her work has been selected for Verse Daily and The Writer's Almanac. She serves as a mentor to other writers and has led poetry workshops for adults and children.
A native of California, Catherine lived on the island of Sumatra in Indonesia for eight years with her husband Rob and their children, Clara and Mac. Currently at home in California’s San Joaquin Valley, she teaches English at Porterville College, where she was named Faculty of the Year in 2009, and collaborates with musician Rob Hodges.
- Instead of Sadness , Gunpowder Press (December 2015)
- All the While , Finishing Line Press (2006)
- Barry Spacks Poetry Prize, Gunpowder Press(2015)
- Porterville College faculty member of the year(2009)
- Professor of English at Porterville College (August 2004 - )
- Master of Arts in English from Central Washington University (June 1986)
- Bachelor of Arts in English from University of Redlands (May 1982)
Genres of Interest