Ohio, United States
Kazim Ali’s books include four volumes of poetry, The Far Mosque, The Fortieth Day, the mixed genre Bright Felon: Autobiography and Cities and Sky Ward. He has also published two novels Quinn’s Passage and The Disappearance of Seth, two collections of essays, Orange Alert: Essays on Poetry, Art and the Architecture of Silence and Fasting for Ramadan: Notes from a Spiritual Practice, and translations of Sohrab Sepehri, Marguerite Duras and Ananda Devi.
His poems and essays have appeared widely in such journals as American Poetry Review, Kenyon Review, Hayden’s Ferry Review, Colorado Review, Denver Quarterly and the Harvard Divinity Bulletin. He edited the essay collection Jean Valentine: This-World Company and serves as co-editor of the Poets on Poetry Series and the Under Dicussion Series, both from the University of Michigan Press, contributing editor of AWP Writers Chronicle, associate editor of Field, and founding editor of Nightboat Books.
He is an associate professor of Creative Writing and Comparative Literature at Oberlin College and has served as visiting writer at many colleges and universities including Naropa University, St. Mary’s College of California, New England College, Texas State University, Western Illinois University, University of Michigan, University of Wyoming, the University of Southern Maine and Idyllwild Academy.
Twitter Username: @kazimalipoet
- Sky Ward , Wesleyan University Press (2013)
- The Oasis of Now: Selected Poems of Sohrab Sepehri (translation) , BOA Editions (2013)
- Jean Valentine: This-World Company , University of Michigan Press (2012)
- Fasting for Ramadan: Notes from a Spiritual Practice , Tupelo Press (2011)
- Orange Alert: Essays on Poetry, Art and the Architecture of Silence , University of Michigan Press (2010)
- Water's Footfall by Sohrab Sepehri (translation) , Omnidawn (2011)
- Bright Felon: Autobiography and Cities , Wesleyan University Press (2009)
- The Disappearance of Seth: a novel , Etruscan Press (2009)
- The Fortieth Day (poems) , BOA Editions (2008)
- The Far Mosque (poems) , Alice James Books (2005)
- Quinn's Passage: a novel , BlazeVox Books (2005)
- L'Amour by Marguerite Duras (translation) , Open Letter (2013)
- Ohio Book Award for Poetry(2014)
- Associate Professor of Creative Writing and Comparative Literature and Director of Creative Writing at Oberlin College
Genres of Interest
Fiction, Creative nonfiction, Poetry, Fiction, Creative nonfiction, Poetry