Dr. ADRIANA PARAMO
Florida, United States
Member Since: 03/02/2016
Adriana Páramo is a cultural anthropologist, writer and women’s rights advocate. Her book “Looking for Esperanza,” winner of the 2011 Social Justice and Equity Award in Creative Nonfiction (Benu Press) was one of the top ten best books by Latino authors in 2012, the best Women’s Issues Book at the 2013 International Latino Book Awards and was an award winner at the 2012 BOYA, Book of the Year Awards. She is also the author of “My Mother’s Funeral,” a CNF work set in Colombia currently nominated for the Latino Books into Movies Award.
Adriana’s work has won numerous awards and honors, including multiple Pushcart Prize nominations, and it has been noted in The Best American Essays of 2012, 2013 and 2014. She has been named as one of the top ten Latino authors in the USA in 2014. Her essay, “My Timbuktu,” has been selected to be included in the upcoming Best American Travel Writing.
She has work recently featured in or forthcoming from The Sun, The Georgia Review, Southern Sin: True Stories of the Sultry South and Women Behaving Badly, Brevity, The Fourth Genre, Columbia: a Journal of Literature and Art, Going Om: a Spiritual anthology, and the rest.
She keeps a travel blog at: http://www.paramoadriana.com/travel-blog
- Mi Timbuktu , The Georgia Review/The Best American Travel Writing (September 10, 2014)
- Sitting Doggietation and the Unknown Knowns , Goin Om/Viva Editions (September 9, 2014)
- When This is All Over , The Fourth Genre (October 10, 2014)
- Praying Alone in Qatar , The Sun (December 10, 2013)
- Social Justice and Equity Award in Creative Nonfiction(2011)
- Best Women’s Issues Book at the International Latino Book Awards (2013)
- Among the top ten best books by Latino authors(2012)
- Silver Medal at BOYA(2012)
- Noted in The Best American Essays of 2012, 2013 and 2014
- Named as one of the top ten Latino authors in the USA
- Bachelor of Science in Petroleum Engineering from Universidad Nacional (December 1990)
- Master of Arts in Anthropology from University of Alaska Anchorage (December 1996)
- Doctoral Degree in International Relations and Health Services from Berne University (July 2000)
Genres of Interest