Dr. Seth Brady Tucker
Colorado, United States
Member Since: 09/21/2011
Seth Brady Tucker’s second book, (We Deserve the Gods We Ask For, 2014), won the Gival Press Poetry Award and also won the Eric Hoffer Book Award in 2015. His first book, (Mormon Boy, 2012), won the 2011 Elixir Press Editor’s Poetry Prize and was a Finalist for the 2013 Colorado Book Award. He has won a number of individual writing awards including the Shenandoah Bevel Summers Fiction Prize and the Literal Latte Short Fiction Award. He has been publishing poetry, essays, and fiction for over a decade in such magazines and journals as the Iowa Review, December, Pleiades, Shenandoah, Poetry Northwest, Verse Daily, Apalachee Review, River Styx, Chattahoochee Review, storySouth, Crab Orchard Review, among many others.
Seth has served as the Carol Houck Smith Scholar at Bread Loaf, and the Tennessee Williams Scholar at Sewanee, and in 2013 he founded (and co-Directs) the Longleaf Writers' Conference in Florida, which takes place every May. He has volunteered his time as an instructor in the inmate literacy program, “Words Beyond Bars,” in Colorado, and also veterans and wounded warrior caregivers through the Writer's Guild (East) and the Wounded Warrior Project. Seth has degrees in English Literature and Creative Writing from San Francisco State University, Northern Arizona University (where he resurrected and worked as Poetry and Fiction Editor for Thin Air magazine), and Florida State University (PhD 2012). Currently, Seth is writing a novel, and his first short fiction collection was recently a finalist for the Flannery O’Connor Award. Both are represented by Alex Glass at Glass Media, New York.
Seth teaches poetry and fiction workshops at the Light House Writer’s Workshop in Denver, as well as the Colorado School of Mines near Denver. He is originally from Wyoming and served as an Army 82nd Airborne Division paratrooper in the Persian Gulf.
Twitter Username: @AirbornePoet
- Mormon Boy , Elixir Press--Winner of the Elixir Press Poetry Prize (April 18, 2012)
- We Deserve the Gods We Ask For , Gival Press (October 1, 2014)
- Bevel Summers Fiction Award (Shenandoah)(2013)
- Literal Latte Flash Fiction Prize(2014)
- Elixir Press Editor's Poetry Prize(2011)
- Tennessee Williams Fiction Scholar at Sewanee Writers' Conference(2014)
- Eric Hoffer Book Award(2015)
- Faculty at Lighthouse Writers' Workshop (November 2010 - )
- Teaching Associate Professor at Colorado School of Mines (July 2010 - )
- Senior Prose Editor at Tupelo Quarterly Review (August 2014 - )
- Co-Director and Founder at Longleaf Writers Conference @ Seaside, Florida (July 2012 - )
- Doctoral Degree in English Creative Writing from Florida State University (August 2012)
- Master of Arts in English/Creative Writing from Northern Arizona University (May 2000)
- Bachelor of Arts in English from San Francisco State University (May 2000)
Genres of Interest
Fiction, Creative nonfiction, Poetry