New York, United States
Member Since: 08/22/2012
Amy King’s latest book, The Missing Museum, is a winner of the 2015 Tarpaulin Sky Book Prize. Of I Want to Make You Safe (Litmus Press), John Ashbery describes Amy King's poems as bringing “abstractions to brilliant, jagged life, emerging into rather than out of the busyness of living.” Safe was one of Boston Globe’s Best Poetry Books of 2011. King is a Full Professor of English and Creative Writing at SUNY Nassau Community College and, as a founding member, serves on the Executive Board of VIDA: Women in Literary Arts.
King joins the ranks of Ann Patchett, Eleanor Roosevelt, Rachel Carson and Pearl Buck as the recipient of the 2015 Winner of the WNBA Award (Women’s National Book Association). She was also honored by The Feminist Press as one of the “40 Under 40: The Future of Feminism” awardees, and she received the 2012 SUNY Chancellor’s Award for Excellence in Scholarship and Creative Activities.
She is co-editor of the anthologies Bettering American Poetry 2015 and, with Heidi Lynn Staples, Big Energy Poets: Ecopoetry Thinks Climate Change.
Twitter Username: @amyhappens
- THE MISSING MUSUEM , TARPAULIN SKY PRESS (August 2016)
- I WANT TO MAKE YOU SAFE , LITMUS PRESS (November 2011)
- BETTERING AMERICAN POETRY 2015 , BETTERING BOOKS (February 2017)
- 2015 WNBA Award (Women's National Book Association)(2015)
- PROFESSOR OF ENGLISH at SUNY NASSAU COMMUNITY COLLEGE (August 2003 - )
Genres of Interest
Fiction, Creative nonfiction, Children's literature , Poetry