Guidelines & Hallmarks
AWP’s board of directors has established a series of Hallmarks for our member programs, teachers, and conferences. For degree-conferring programs in creative writing, these hallmarks serve to establish professional standards for the field, reinforce AWP’s commitment to excellence in teaching, and reflect our continued support of writers in the academy. The hallmarks provide templates for new programs and for the internal planning and external reviews of existing programs.
The hallmarks below are also contained in our Program Director's Handbook, which includes additional information for directors of creative writing programs.
- AWP Guidelines for Creative Writing Programs & Teachers of Creative Writing
- AWP Hallmarks of a Successful MFA Program in Creative Writing
- AWP Hallmarks of an Effective Low-Residency MFA Program in Creative Writing
- AWP Recommendations on the Teaching of Creative Writing to Undergraduates
- AWP Hallmarks of an Effective BFA Program or BA Major in Creative Writing
- AWP Hallmarks of an Effective Minor in the Undergraduate Study of Creative Writing
- AWP Hallmarks of an Effective Program in Creative Writing at a Two-Year College
- AWP Recommendations Regarding Non-Tenure-Track Faculty
- AWP Policy on Electronic Theses and Dissertations
- AWP Recommendations on the Timeframe for Admissions & Enrollment in Programs with Traditional Fall Start Dates
- AWP Recommendations for External Review of Creative Writing Programs
For our WC&C member programs, AWP’s hallmarks recognize common elements of successful conferences.