Ten Ways to Take Advantage of Your AWP Membership in the New Year
Megan Eden Kuyatt | January 2019
I’ve been an AWP member for years, but it’s only after working for AWP that I’ve begun to realize just how many resources we have for writers. From amazing articles on craft and careers, to webinars with agents and editors, AWP has practical tools for writers on any part of their journey. With the new year beginning and fresh writing goals kicking into gear, take some time to see how you can take full advantage of your membership. Here are a few of my personal recommendations:
- Read The Writer’s Chronicle in print, online, or on our app! The Writer’s Chronicle is an extension of the creative writing classroom where some of today’s best poets and writers offer insight into the craft of writing. The articles are great discussion-starters with fellow writers and writing groups.
- Learn more about what it means to have a writing career: Subscribe to our Life After the MFA series, and check out our Career Services Web Series, which includes practical and insightful advice on writing CVs, requesting recommendation letters, and interacting with agents. Our online publication The Writers’ Notebook also has some fantastic articles on the writing life.
- Enjoy podcasts? We have over 160 entertaining and informative podcasts available on our site, running the gamut from discussions with well-known authors (i.e. Amy Tan, Rita Dove), to panels on the craft of writing, rejection, MFAs, and nonprofits. Your membership even gets you access to podcast recordings from our previous AWP conferences!
- Want to build community as a writer? Check out our Writer’s Calendar for events in your area. Also consider applying to the Writer to Writer Mentorship Program as a mentor or mentee. It’s free to apply, and the program allows for an unforgettable one-on-one experience with a fellow author in your genre. If you’re participating in NaNoWriMo, join our Facebook group for “WriMos.” And of course, our annual conference is a fantastic way to network with fellow writers.
- Showcase yourself with a Directory of Members profile! Add awards, publications, and photos to let people in the writing community know who you are.
- Want to send out your work? We have an extensive Opportunities for Grants, Awards, & Publications list that announces open submissions, and have several AWP-hosted awards throughout the year. Check out our Writer to Agent opportunity for conference attendees (hurry—the deadline to submit is January 31!)
- Submit your writing to The Writer’s Chronicle and The Writer’s Notebook—we pay! Submit to our AWP Award Series book prizes, too; members receive discounts on submission fees.
- Looking for jobs? Make sure to check out our Job List, which is regularly updated with new job opportunities. Follow our LinkedIn page for job announcements, too.
- If you’re a student, make a Campus Visit video for your school. If you’re considering applying for a creative writing program, these videos are a great tool for finding your perfect literary home.
- Stay up to date with what’s going on with AWP and the writing world through our bimonthly enewsletter.