AWP Hiring Communications Coordinator/Membership Assistant
January 21, 2022
COMMUNICATIONS COORDINATOR/MEMBERSHIP ASSISTANT
Please send a cover letter and resume to Juanita Lester at email@example.com with “Communications Coordinator/Membership Assistant” in the subject line of the email. Applications close January 31, 2022.
The Communications Coordinator/Membership Assistant helps support AWP in both the Communications and Membership Departments. This role assists in scheduling, planning, and executing interdepartmental communication and works closely with the Membership Department.
This is a remote, full-time position. The Communications Coordinator/Membership Assistant reports directly to the Director of Communications and works in close collaboration with the Graphic Production Designer, Marketing Project Manager, and Web Copyeditor. As the Membership Assistant, this role works closely with the Director of Membership and assists in all membership planning needs, social media messaging, and reporting
Strategy & Planning
- Assist in tracking and reviewing analytics on a monthly and quarterly basis to strategize key opportunities with departmental initiatives.
- Brainstorm and plan upcoming initiatives for future content (social media posts, videos, podcasts, etc.).
- Collaborate on the annual social media strategy and audit report to plan next year initiatives.
- Monitor and report on social media initiatives, targets, and performance.
- Assist in populating MailChimp copy for email communications.
- Edit video and audio clips, including meeting accessibility standards with closed captions and transcription for the AWP website.
- Create and update content for social media that is in line with the AWP brand.
- Develop imagery for social media posts in the appropriate social media platform requirements of Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram.
- Capture photographs and/or video for projects or events, including the annual AWP Conference & Bookfair.
- Assist in managing the social media editorial calendar and schedule posts daily using Hootsuite and Planoly.
- Annual Conference & Bookfair
- Assist at AWP’s annual Conference & Bookfair in accordance with team tasks assigned on a yearly basis.
- Answer questions and daily requests for information by email and phone.
- Assist with mail processing and membership check processing.
- Assist with institutional and individual membership renewals.
- Work with the Membership team to run the Writer to Writer Mentorship Program.
- Assist with promotional membership campaigns and create content for landing pages, MailChimps, and social media
- Create content for Member In the Spotlight program: selects featured members and prepares content for a bimonthly online interview.
- Manage the monthly Life After the MFA email series installments and archive page.
- Assist with office management duties.
- Stay abreast of current trends and changes on social media apps and similar platforms.
- Cultivate and maintain good professional relations with AWP membership, board, and staff.
- Carry out other duties as assigned by the Director of Communications and Director of Membership.
Background of the Organization
AWP provides support, advocacy, resources, and community for nearly 50,000 writers, 550 college and university creative writing programs, and 150 writers’ conferences and centers. As a national professional association of creative writers and writing programs, AWP brings together independent writers, academic writing programs, journals, presses, and arts organizations, united by a love for the literary arts. In addition to hosting the largest annual gathering of writers in North America, AWP builds supportive communities through its extensive website, thriving mentorship program, and magazine dedicated to the craft of writing.
AWP is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization founded in 1967. Our mission is to amplify the voices of writers and the academic programs and organizations that serve them while championing diversity and excellence in creative writing.
Our staff is passionate about writers and writing programs. Diversity, equity, and inclusion are at the forefront of our work amid calls for racial justice and changing conditions. We continue to refine and add value to existing programs that have proven to be beneficial to our members and the literary community.
AWP is an equal opportunity employer and encourages all applicants regardless of race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, or any other protected characteristic. AWP is committed to having a workforce that reflects the diversity of the population that it serves at all levels within the organization.
Salary range: $38,000–$42,000. AWP offers a generous benefits package including health, dental, and vision insurance; PTO/paid holidays; 401k/retirement planning; family leave; telework; and a flexible schedule. For more information on the Association of Writers & Writing Programs, please visit www.awpwriter.org.