AWP Hiring Web Copyeditor
January 21, 2022
Please send a cover letter and resume to Juanita Lester at firstname.lastname@example.org with “Web Copyeditor” in the subject line of the email. Applications close January 31, 2022.
The AWP Web Copyeditor is responsible for editing all digital content appearing on AWP’s website, email campaigns, and social media announcements.
This is a remote, part-time position, averaging 20 hours per week. The Web Copyeditor reports directly to the Director of Communications and works in close collaboration with all staff members who provide copy to be posted on any digital channel.
Editing Digital Copy
- Correct grammar and spelling.
- Ensure text is in line with the Chicago Manual of Style and AWP’s house style.
- Check facts and raise queries with the author of the copy.
- Ensure consistent terminology.
- Enforce best practices in messaging for social media.
- Reinforce tone; offer consistent voice in line with AWP’s mission.
- Improve overall structure to make content clearer and more engaging and concise..
- Help maintain messaging strategies such as the social media editorial calendar.
- Work directly in MailChimp, editing messages.
- Create transcriptions of digital media (podcasts, videos, etc.).
- Assist with maintenance of the AWP Job List and Opportunities page.
- Assist in creating a biweekly Writing News Roundup for the website and newsletter.
- Assist with data entry for some projects, such as building Twitter lists.
- Assist during the week of the conference (either working onsite in whatever capacity is needed or moderating social media messaging remotely)
- Help develop and maintain a comprehensive digital copy style manual in line with AWP’s overall style.
- Carry out other duties as reasonably requested by the Director of Communications.
Background of the Organization
AWP provides support, advocacy, resources, and community for nearly 50,000 writers, 550 college and university creative writing programs, and 150 writers’ conferences and centers. As a national professional association of creative writers and writing programs, AWP brings together independent writers, academic writing programs, journals, presses, and arts organizations, united by a love for the literary arts. In addition to hosting the largest annual gathering of writers in North America, AWP builds supportive communities through its extensive website, thriving mentorship program, and magazine dedicated to the craft of writing.
AWP is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization founded in 1967. Our mission is to amplify the voices of writers and the academic programs and organizations that serve them while championing diversity and excellence in creative writing.
Our staff is passionate about writers and writing programs. Diversity, equity, and inclusion are at the forefront of our work amid calls for racial justice and changing conditions. We continue to refine and add value to existing programs that have proven to be beneficial to our members and the literary community.
AWP is an equal opportunity employer and encourages all applicants regardless of race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, or any other protected characteristic. AWP is committed to having a workforce that reflects the diversity of the population that it serves at all levels within the organization.
Pay: $20 per hour. For more information on the Association of Writers & Writing Programs, please visit www.awpwriter.org.