AWP Hiring Web & Technology Manager
September 17, 2021
WEB & TECHNOLOGY MANAGER
The Web & Technology Manager reports to the Director of Finance & Operations. Position responsibilities include developing, maintaining, and troubleshooting AWP’s website; upkeep of website content and information from all departments; coordinating site maintenance with the companies that provide website hosting; working with any consultants hired to work on website-related projects; responding to website-related requests from members; and overseeing the web department staff and budget. The Web & Technology Manager manages the data and security of AWP, as well as working at the Annual Conference & Bookfair to set up and maintain computer equipment and perform any other conference duties as needed.
Please send a cover letter and resume to Juanita Lester at email@example.com with “Web & Technology Manager” in the subject line of the email.
Background of the Organization
AWP provides support, advocacy, resources, and community for nearly 50,000 writers, 550 college and university creative writing programs, and 150 writers’ conferences and centers. As a national professional association of creative writers and writing programs, AWP brings together independent writers, academic writing programs, journals, presses, and arts organizations, united by a love for the literary arts. In addition to hosting the largest annual gathering of writers in North America, AWP builds supportive communities through its extensive website, thriving mentorship program, and magazine dedicated to the craft of writing.
AWP is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization founded in 1967. Our mission is to amplify the voices of writers and the academic programs and organizations that serve them while championing diversity and excellence in creative writing.
Our staff is passionate about writers and writing programs. Diversity, equity, and inclusion are at the forefront of our work amid calls for racial justice and changing conditions. We continue to refine and add value to existing programs that have proven to be beneficial to our members and the literary community.
- Manage the AWP website and all associated microsites, including but not limited to: updating and maintaining existing content, removing and/or archiving old content, formatting, and managing and organizing content folders in the CMS
- Ensure compliance with ADA and the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines set forth by W3C
- Manage web pages, forms, and integrations, including membership database, online community, email, applications, and other technology vendors as needed
- Analyze site layouts and structures, HTML coding, and navigation systems for optimizing the content to enhance website visibility
- Review website to ensure accuracy and functionality, including troubleshooting and bug fixes
- Work closely with the Marketing Project Manager and Communications Department to ensure site content production adheres to best practices
- Provide excellent and timely customer service when responding to members’/users’ questions about the website
- Oversee the website’s navigational structure and maintain metadata for each page
- Work collaboratively with the Advertising Manager for ad placement and updates on statistics.
- Expand back-end WYSIWYG editor to all content pages to create capability for Communications Department to perform regular copy updates to new or existing copy
Data & IT
- Serve as the primary point of contact for IT-related vendors, including onsite at the annual AWP Conference & Bookfair
- Present technology needs and plans on a regular basis and proactively communicate with Director of Communications, Executive Director, and Director of Finance & Operations to keep the group apprised of IT performance, potential issues, and budget approvals
- Until WYSIWYG is expanded, perform efficient updates to all pages and sections of the website as instructed by the Communications Department
- Maintain the integrity of the website’s databases and perform regular backups
- Process unsubscribed and cleaned address website users on a regular basis
- Monitor and maintain internal operations including licensing, purchasing new equipment, managing software and hardware for staff use, performing regular updates on both software and operating systems, and thoroughly testing software solutions
- Maintain organization’s file storage and sharing server and ensure that it meets the organization’s needs for access, security, and data integrity
- See that equipment is properly maintained by all AWP employees, including informing staff regularly about best practices
- Budget and record all contracts and expenditures for the website, including server fees, software, hardware, and technical consulting
- Track, analyze, and provide monthly and annual reports on website metrics to inform future enhancements, which includes expanding backend reporting capabilities
- Prepare documentation, including web standards, procedures, best practices including usage guide on equipment and software for staff
- Plan and manage web services projects, including prioritizing tasks, making decisions about realistic project timelines and developing strategies for adhering to the organization’s current strategic plan
- Create and present a departmental report for the AWP Board of Directors meetings
- Meet with the Executive Director and Director of Finance & Operations weekly to report on departmental progress and keep staff updated on progress at weekly all staff meetings
- Provide statistical, financial, data, and security updates and reporting as needed
- Develop training materials and conduct trainings with staff about the usage of technology including security, software solutions, and backend interfaces
AWP Annual Conference & Bookfair
- Update web functionality as needed by conference cycle deadlines
- Ensure virtual components of the conference are functioning correctly
- Set up and oversee AWP equipment onsite and test all equipment at onsite registration
- Provide efficient, professional, and helpful service to all conference attendees
- Work at the conference in whatever capacity is requested or assigned by the Director of Conferences
- Assist the communications team and other staff with ongoing programs, including but not limited to social media, Google Ad conversion tracking, email strategy, and analytics
- Assist with duties related to technology setup and management for onsite and offsite board meetings
- Carry out other duties as reasonably requested by the Executive Director and the Director of Finance & Operations
Skills and Qualifications
- 5+ years of progressive experience working in website management, with project management, preferably in an association or nonprofit organization
- Bachelor’s degree in web design, digital marketing, computer science, IT, or related field preferred. College courses with relevant work experience required
- Expert knowledge of web content management systems (AWS or equivalent CMS), PHP for server side language, and MySQL for database management
- AWS administrator experience, familiarity with association management systems (Clear Vantage), and web development experience a plus
- Working knowledge of Search Engine Optimization (SEO) practices
- Must be initiative driven and able to seek out new content, strategies, and projects to enhance the overall web objectives of the organization
- Must have strong interpersonal skills, written and verbal communication skills, organization skills, attention to detail, and proofreading and editing skills
- Must have the ability to problem-solve, think creatively and strategically, meet deadlines, budgets, and prioritize multiple tasks and projects
- Must have the ability to interact professionally and collaboratively on a team.
- Strong preference for an applicant who lives near the AWP main office in one of the following states, at a drivable distance: DC, DE, MD, PA, VA. Some travel may be required
AWP is an equal opportunity employer and encourages all applicants regardless of race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, or any other protected characteristic. AWP is committed to having a workforce that reflects the diversity of the population that it serves at all levels within the organization.
Salary starts at $80,000. AWP offers a generous benefits package including health, dental, and vision insurance; PTO/paid holidays; 401k/retirement planning; family leave; telework; and a flexible schedule. For more information on the Association of Writers & Writing Programs, please visit www.awpwriter.org.