California, United States
Member Since: 04/17/2017
Megan Levad is the author of Why We Live in the Dark Ages, the first selection in Tavern Books' Wrolstad Contemporary Poetry Series, and What Have I to Say to You, forthcoming from Tavern in Fall 2017. Her poems have appeared in Tin House, Granta Online, Fence, the Everyman's Library anthology Killer Verse, and London art and fashion magazine AnOther, among other publications. She is currently working on War Movie, which was awarded a MacDowell Colony Fellowship for Summer 2017.
Megan writes in many forms. In addition to the screenplay for The Troll, a short film in progress, she has also written song cycles and commissioned choral pieces, including "Let Us Plant Our Gardens Now," with composer Dominick DiOrio, and "Volta," with Kristin Kuster, both recently published by Hal Leonard. Kristin and Megan will premiere their first opera, Kept, an ecofeminist Gothic romance, in May 2017 through the Virginia Arts Festival.Megan received her BA in English from The University of Iowa, then did her graduate work in poetry at the University of Michigan, where she won the Hopwood Program’s Roethke Prize and was selected by Mary Ruefle for a Zell Postgraduate Fellowship. For several years after receiving her MFA from Michigan Megan was the Assistant Director of the Helen Zell Writers' Program; she then went on to teach writing, environmental literature, and ethics at Boise State University. She now lives in California.
Twitter Username: @meganlevad
- Why We Live in the Dark Ages , Tavern Books (April 1, 2015)
- What Have I to Say to You , Tavern Books (November 1, 2017)
- Assistant Director at Helen Zell Writers' Program, University of Michigan (September 2009 - April 2015)
- Instructor at New England Literature Program, University of Michigan (April 2015 - June 2015)
- Adjunct Professor at Boise State University (August 2015 - December 2016)
- Adjunct Professor at College of Western Idaho (August 2015 - December 2016)
- Writing Consultant at University of San Francisco (January 2017 - )
- Bachelor of Arts in English with Honors and Distinction, art history from The University of Iowa (May 2000)
- Master of Fine Arts in Poetry from University of Michigan (May 2008)
Genres of Interest
Fiction, Creative nonfiction, Playwriting, Screenwriting, Children's literature , Poetry