April L. Ford
New York, United States
April L. Ford was born in the Canadian Maritimes. Five days later, upon hearing the sirens of cafés au lait and French pastries calling to her, she left on a jet plane for Montréal. En route to becoming a novelist, she has worked as a writing mentor for incarcerated youth, theater stage manager, television series producer, and she presently serves as Managing Editor of Digital Americana Magazine and teaches creative writing at SUNY Oneonta.
In fall 2013, her story collection The Poor Children was selected as Grand Prizewinner of the Santa Fe Writers Project Literary Awards Program for Fiction; The Poor Children is forthcoming with SFWP in April 2015. Earlier in 2013, the collection was shortlisted for SALT Publishing’s international Scott Prize (UK). April’s stories are forthcoming with The After Coetzee Project Anthology, Ofi Press Mexico, New Madrid: Journal of Contemporary Literature, and SAND: Berlin’s English Literary Journal.
Her first novel, Gentle, was a Finalist for the 2014 Gorsky Press Molly Ivors Prize for Fiction. Gentle explores the relationship between terminal illness and family chaos. She is working on her second novel.
April has spent time at Virginia Center for the Creative Arts as a Robert Johnson Fellow, and at Ucross Foundation as a Writer in Residence. She received her B.A. in Creative Writing and Professional Writing from Concordia University (Montréal, Québec), and her M.F.A. in Creative Writing from Queens University of Charlotte (Charlotte, North Carolina).
Twitter Username: @April_L_Ford
- Green E142 , Product Magazine (Scotland)
- Literary Boroughs #43: Montreal, Canada , Ploughshares online
- Literary Boroughs #39: Oneonta, NY , Ploughshares online
- Sometimes It's that Simple , r.kv.r.y. quarterly literary journal
- Isabelle's Haunting , The Battered Suitcase: New Directions in Art & Literature
- Layla , Short Story Magazine
- Inkblot Cats , Cease, Cows Journal
- A Marmalade Cat for Jenny , The Ampersand Review
- The Economics of Spooning , SFWP: The Journal
- Something Ugly , Independent Ink Magazine
- Something Ugly (forthcoming) , SAND: Berlin's English Literary Journal (2014)
- Namaste (forthcoming) , The After Coetzee Project Anthology (2014)
- The Scientist , Rolling Thunder Quarterly # 13
- Bananas and Limes (forthcoming) , New Madrid: Journal of Contemporary Literature (2014)
- Death Is a Side-Effect (forthcoming) , Ofi Press Mexico (2014)
- Ucross Foundation Writer in Residence(2013)
- Shortlisted -- Scott Prize for international debut story collections (Salt Publishing, UK) (for first story collection, THE POOR CHILDREN)(2013)
- VCCA Robert Johnson Fellow(2013)
- Winner -- Santa Fe Writers Project Literary Awards Program for Fiction (for first story collection, THE POOR CHILDREN)(2013)
- Finalist -- Gorsky Press 2014 Molly Ivors Prize for Fiction (for first novel, GENTLE)(2014)
- Runner-Up -- 2014 Salt Cay Writers Retreat Merit Scholarship Contest(2014)
- Adjunct Professor of Creative Writing at State University of New York at Oneonta
- Managing Editor at Digital Americana Magazine
Genres of Interest
Fiction, Creative nonfiction, Playwriting, Screenwriting, Poetry