Member Since: 11/02/2015
Jean Kwok is the award-winning, New York Times and international bestselling author of Searching for Sylvie Lee (coming June 4, 2019), Girl in Translation and Mambo in Chinatown. Her work has been published in eighteen countries and taught in universities, colleges, and high schools across the world. She has been selected for numerous honors, including the American Library Association Alex Award, the Chinese American Librarians Association Best Book Award, and the Sunday Times Short Story Award international shortlist. She is trilingual, fluent in Dutch, Chinese, and English, and studied Latin for seven years.
Jean immigrated from Hong Kong to Brooklyn when she was five and worked in a Chinatown clothing factory for much of her childhood. She received her bachelor's degree from Harvard and completed an MFA in fiction at Columbia University. She currently lives in the Netherlands.
Twitter Username: @jeankwok
- Searching for Sylvie Lee , William Morrow/ HarperCollins (June 4, 2019)
- Girl in Translation , Riverhead Books/ Penguin (2010)
- Mambo in Chinatown , Riverhead Books/ Penguin Random House (2014)
- Bachelor of Arts in English and American Literature from Harvard University
- Master of Fine Arts in Fiction from Columbia University, Graduate School of the Arts
Genres of Interest
Fiction, Creative nonfiction, Poetry