Massachusetts, United States
Member Since: 09/17/2011
Michelson’s latest collection of poetry for adults is More Money than God (Pitt Poetry Series, 2015). Previous collections include Battles & Lullabies, Tap Dancing for Relatives and 2 fine press collaborations with the artist Leonard Baskin. Clemson University named Michelson their Calhoun Distinguished Reader in American Literature in 2008. Recent poems have appeared in The Harvard Review, The Massachusetts Review, The Common, Parnassus and elsewhere.
MICHELSON’s children’s books have been listed among the 10 Best Books of the Year by The New York Times, Publishers Weekly, and The New Yorker; and among the 12 Best Books of the Decade by (the evil) Amazon.com. He has been a finalist for the Massachusetts Book Award (2x), the Harlem Book Fest Wheatley Award, and the National Jewish Book Award (3x), as well as receiving two Skipping Stones Multicultural Book Awards, a National Parenting Publication Gold Medal and an International Reading Association Teacher’s Choice Award. Michelson is the only author to receive both a Sydney Taylor Gold and Silver Medal in a single year from the Association of Jewish Librarians in their 47 year history.
He is the owner of R. Michelson Galleries, the host of Northampton Poetry Radio, and the just completed his second term as Poet Laureate of Northampton Massachusetts.
- More Money Than God , Pitt Poetry Series (February 15, 2015)
- Battles and Lullabies , University of Illinois Press (December 1, 2006)
- Tap Dancing for the Relatives , University of Central Florida Press (January 1, 1985)
- Masks , Gehenna Press (January 1, 1999)
- New York Times Ten Best Illustrated Books(2010)
- Sydney Taylor Gold Medal-Assoc of Jewish Librarians(2009)
- National Jewish Book Award finalist(2011)
- Amazon.com 12 Best Children's Books of the Decade(2010)
Genres of Interest
Children's literature , Poetry