New York, United States
Member Since: 10/26/2011
Charles Rice-González, born in Puerto Rico and reared in the Bronx, is a writer, long-time community and LGBTQ activist, co-founder of BAAD! The Bronx Academy of Arts and Dance and an Assistant Professor at Hostos Community College - CUNY. He received a B.A. in Communications from Adelphi University and an M.F.A. in Creative Writing from Goddard College. His debut novel, Chulito (Magnus 2011), has received awards and recognitions from American Library Association (ALA) and the National Book Critics Circle. He co-edited From Macho to Mariposa: New Gay Latino Fiction (Tincture 2011) with Charlie Vázquez. He is also an award-winning playwright and his play I Just Love Andy Gibb was published in Blacktino Queer Performance: A Critical Anthology co-edited by E. Patrick Johnson and Ramón H. Rivera-Servera (Duke Press 2016).
His writing’s been published in The Pitkin Review, Los Otros Cuerpos, Best Gay Stories 2008, The Best of PANIC!: En Vivo from the East Village, Love, Christopher Street, Who’s Yer Daddy, Ambientes: New Queer Latino Writing edited by Lázaro Limas and Felice Picano, QED: A Journal in GLBTQ Worldmaking, as well as articles in El Diario and The Nation.
He's attended Bread Loaf Writers' Conference, VONA: Voices of Our Nation, Lambda Literary Writers' Retreat and Sandra Cisnero's Macondo Writing Workshop, and has done residencies at the Woodstock Byrdcliffe Guild and the Virginia Center for Creative Arts. He received an Audre Lorde scholarship from the ZAMI Foundation, a P.R.I.D.E. (Puerto Rican Initiative to Develop Empowerment) Award and received the Lambda Literary Foundation’s Dr. Betty Berzon Emerging Writer Award in 2014.
Charles serves as the chair of the board for The Bronx Council on the Arts and NALAC - The National Association of Latino Arts and Cultures, and is an active organizer for the Queer Latina/o Writers Collective.
Twitter Username: @ricegonzalez
- Chulito , Magnus Books (December 10, 2011)
- From Macho to Mariposa , Tincture/Lethe Press (August 1, 2011)
- Lambda Literary Foundation/Dr. Betty Berzon Emerging Writer Award(2012)
- Distinguished Lecturer at Hostos Community College/CUNY (January 2014 - January 2017)
- Adjunct Lecturer at College of Staten Island/CUNY (August 2013 - December 2013)
- Adjunct Lecturer at LaGuardia Community College/CUNY (January 2011 - March 2011)
- Executive Director/Founder at Bronx Academy of Arts and Dance (BAAD!) (December 1998 - )
- Assistant Professor at Hostos Community College/CUNY (January 2017 - )
- Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing from Goddard College (June 2008)
Genres of Interest
Fiction, Creative nonfiction, Playwriting, Screenwriting, Children's literature