Virginia, United States
Member Since: 11/07/2011
Jane Friedman has more than 20 years of experience in the publishing industry, with expertise in digital media strategy for authors. From 2001–2010 she worked at Writer’s Digest, where she ultimately became publisher and editorial director of the $10-million multimedia brand. Currently she is a columnist for Publishers Weekly.
Jane specializes in educating writers about the publishing industry (without drama or hype) to help them make the best long-term decisions for their careers. Since 2001, she has spoken at hundreds of writing conferences around the world, and is known for thought-provoking talks on the future of authorship. She recently delivered keynotes at The Muse & The Marketplace, The Writer's Center, and HippoCamp.
Her expertise has been featured by sources such as NPR’s Morning Edition, Nieman Journalism Lab, Publishers Weekly, GalleyCat, and PBS. Her feature articles have appeared in Writer’s Digest magazine, the AWP Notebook, VQR Online, Digital Book World, Publishing Perspectives, IBPA Independent Magazine, The Huffington Post, Writer Unboxed, Scratch magazine, and many other print and online venues.
Her essays have been published in collections by the University of Chicago Press, Seal Press, Milkweed Editions, and McPherson & Co.—as well as Writer’s Digest Books, Writer’s Market, Writer’s Market UK, and Australian Writer’s Marketplace.
She teaches digital media and publishing at the University of Virginia and recently released a Great Courses lecture series on writing for publication. Her award-winning blog for writers at JaneFriedman.com enjoys more than 180,000 visits per month.
Twitter Username: @JaneFriedman
- The Future Value of a Literary Publisher , Copper Nickel (March 2016)
- 2015 Year in Review , Writer's Yearbook/Writer's Digest (December 2015)
- Be Your Own Boss , Writer's Digest (November 2015)
- The Memory I Choose , EVERY FATHER'S DAUGHTER (McPherson & Co.) (April 2015)
- The Future of the Gatekeepers , THE LITTLE MAGAZINE IN CONTEMPORARY AMERICA (University of Chicago Press) (March 2015)
- The Future Value of a Literary Publisher , LITERARY PUBLISHING IN THE 21ST CENTURY (Milkweed Editions) (April 2016)
- Drinking as Genuine Vocation , DRINKING DIARIES (Seal Press) (2012)
- Web Editor at Virginia Quarterly Review (June 2012 - June 2014)
- Assistant Professor, E-Media at University of Cincinnati (August 2010 - June 2012)
- Publisher at Writer's Digest (September 2008 - August 2010)
- Publisher at Scratch Magazine (October 2013 - February 2015)
- Adjunct Professor at University of Virginia (January 2013 - )
- Co-Editor and Co-Founder at The Hot Sheet (August 2015 - )
- Bachelor of Fine Arts in Creative Writing from University of Evansville (May 1998)
- Master of Arts in English from Xavier University (May 2002)
Genres of Interest