California, United States
Member Since: 10/14/2016
Reyna Grande is an award-winning novelist and memoirist. She has received an American Book Award, the El Premio Aztlán Literary Award, and the Latino Book Award. In 2012, she was a finalist for the prestigious National Book Critics Circle Awards. Her works have been published internationally in countries such as Norway and South Korea.
Her novels, Across a Hundred Mountains, (Atria, 2006) and Dancing with Butterflies(Washington Square Press, 2009) were published to critical acclaim and have been read widely in schools across the country. Her latest book, The Distance Between Us, was published in August 2012, by Atria Books, an imprint of Simon & Schuster. In this memoir, Reyna writes about her life before and after illegally immigrating from Mexico to the United States. A National Book Circle Critics Award finalist, The Distance Between Us is an inspirational coming-of-age story about the pursuit of a better life. The Los Angeles Times hailed it as ‘”the Angela’s Ashes of the modern Mexican immigrant experience.”
Born in Iguala, Guerrero, Mexico, Reyna was two years old when her father left for the U.S. to find work. Her mother followed her father north two years later, leaving Reyna and her siblings behind in Mexico. In 1985, when Reyna was going on ten, she entered the U.S. as an undocumented immigrant. She later went on to become the first person in her family to graduate from college.
After attending Pasadena City College for two years, Reyna obtained a B.A. in creative writing and film & video from the University of California, Santa Cruz. She later received her M.F.A. in creative writing from Antioch University. Now, in addition to being a published author, she is also an active promoter of Latino literature and is a sought-after speaker at high schools, colleges, and universities across the nation.
Currently Reyna teaches creative writing at UCLA Extension and is at work on her next novel.
Twitter Username: @reynagrande
- Across a Hundred Mountains , Atria Books (June 20, 2006)
- Dancing with Butterflies , Washington Square Press (October 6, 2009)
- The Distance Between Us , Atria Books (August 28, 2012)
- American Book Award(2007)
- El Premio Aztlan Literary Award(2007)
- International Latino Book Award(2010)
- Latino Books Into Movies Award(2010)
- National Book Critics Circle Award Finalist(2013)
- Creative wrting teacher at UCLA Extension (January 2012 - )
- Manuscript consultant
- Bachelor of Arts in Creative Writing from UC, Santa Cruz (June 1999)
- Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing from Antioch University (December 2008)
Genres of Interest
Fiction, Creative nonfiction