Illinois, United States
Member Since: 05/01/2013
Aviya Kushner's first book, The Grammar of God, is forthcoming from Spiegel & Grau / Random House. Her essays have appeared in The Gettysburg Review, Gulf Coast, The Jerusalem Post Magazine, Partisan Review, A Public Space, and The Wilson Quarterly.
Her fiction has appeared in Zoetrope:All-Story, and her poems have appeared in Literary Imagination, Harvard Review, Prairie Schooner and Salamander. Her reviews appear widely, in publications including The Jerusalem Post, Triquarterly, and The Wilson Quarterly, and her translations have appeared in The Iowa Review.
She has received a grant from The Illinois Arts Council in nonfiction and a Pushcart nomination in poetry, and has been awarded residencies at Ledig House/ Writers Omi and The Vermont Studio Center.
She teaches nonfiction writing and literary translation in the MFA program in creative writing at Columbia College Chicago. She is a contributing editor at A Public Space.
Twitter Username: @AviyaKushner
- Illinois Arts Council(2012)
- Assistant Professor at Columbia College Chicago (August 2008 - )
- Master of Fine Arts in Nonfiction Writing from The University of Iowa
- Master of Arts in Creative Writing -- Poetry from Boston University
- Bachelor of Arts in History of Art and The Writing Seminars (double B.A.) from The Johns Hopkins University
Genres of Interest
Fiction, Creative nonfiction, Poetry