A. Rafael Johnson
Minnesota, United States
Member Since: 08/22/2012
A. Rafael Johnson received a BA in Drama from The University of Texas. After workshops with Sekou Sundiata and Linda Montano, he entered the MFA program at The University of Alabama. Andy edited for Black Warrior Review and Fairy Tale Review, then left Alabama to teach in post-conflict Liberia as part of USAID-funded reconstruction efforts. Andy taught creative writing, spoken word, and literature at Alabama until 2016. Currently, he is the principal arts-based evaluator at TerraLuna Collaborative, a research and evaluation firm based in Minneapolis.
A. Rafael Johnson's fiction and essays can be found in Spacecraft, Callaloo, African American Review, Kweli, and Lunch Ticket. Andy Johnson became a Kimbilio Fellow in 2014. His debut novel, The Through, was published by Jaded Ibis Press in 2017.
Twitter Username: @ulitave
- The Through , Jaded Ibis Press (November 1, 2017)
- Wince: George and Trayvon , Lunch Ticket (June 2012)
- Bell and Cut Mary Somewhere in the Sugarcane , African American Review (October 2014)
- The Boy Who Climbed His Mother into Heaven , Kweli Journal (September 2012)
- Kimbilio Fellowship in African American Fiction(2014)
- Instructor at Department of English, The University of Alabama (August 2012 - )
- Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing from The University of Alabama (August 2012)
Genres of Interest
Fiction, Creative nonfiction