Susanna J. Mishler
Alaska, United States
Susanna J. Mishler ‘s work has appeared in Alaska Quarterly Review, The Iowa Review, Kenyon Review Online, Mid-American Review, and elsewhere. Her collection of poems, Termination Dust (Boreal Books/Red Hen Press 2014), is a Lambda Award Finalist.
Susanna holds an MFA in Poetry from The University of Arizona in Tucson, where she served as a poetry editor for Sonora Review. She’s the recipient of an Alaska Literary Award from the Alaska Arts and Culture Foundation, a Peter Taylor Fellowship in Poetry from the Kenyon Review Writer’s Workshop, and the Bill Waller Writing Award from the University of Arizona. Susanna also co-directed Synergies, a live reading and performance series in her hometown of Anchorage, Alaska.
Susanna earns her living as an electrician and sometimes teaches poetry workshops. Among other things, she’s worked as a wildlife surveyor, dock hand, science educator, and sled dog handler.
- Termination Dust , Boreal Books / Red Hen Press (January 1)
- Kenyon Review Peter Taylor Fellowship(2013)
- Alaska Literary Award(2014)
- Lambda Award Finalist(2015)
- Journeyman Wireman at IBEW Local 1547 (June 2009 - )
- Master of Fine Arts in Poetry from University of Arizona, Tucson (May 2004)
- Bachelor of Arts in Environmental Studies from The Evergreen State College, Olympia, WA (June 1998)
Genres of Interest