R. Erica Doyle
New York, United States
Member Since: 03/07/2013
r. erica doyle was born in Brooklyn to Trinidadian immigrant parents, and has lived in Washington, DC, Farmington, Connecticut and La Marsa, Tunisia. Her book, proxy, was a Lambda Literary Awards finalist and a winner of the Norma Farber Award for a First Book from the Poetry Society of America. Her work has been anthologized in Best American Poetry, Our Caribbean: A Gathering of Gay and Lesbian Writing from the Antilles, Gumbo: A Celebration of African American Writing, Bum Rush the Page: A Def Poetry Jam, Gathering Ground: A Reader Celebrating Cave Canem’s First Decade and Voices Rising: Celebrating 20 Years of Black Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Writing. Her poetry and fiction appear in various journals, including Ploughshares, Callaloo, Bloom, From the Fishouse, Blithe House Quarterly and Sinister Wisdom.
Her articles and reviews have appeared in Ms. Magazine, Black Issues Book Review and on the Best American Poetry and Futurepoem blogs. She has received grants and awards from the Hurston/Wright Foundation, the Astraea Lesbian Writers Fund, the DC Commission on the Arts and Humanities, the Humanities Council of DC and Poets and Writers, and she was a New York Foundation for the Arts Poetry Fellow. Erica is also a fellow of Cave Canem: A Workshop and Retreat for Black Writers.
In addition, she has read her work at the Kennedy Center, the National Black Arts Festival, Joe’s Pub, the Nuyorican, the Calabash International Literary Festival in Jamaica, WI and various colleges and universities. Erica received her MFA in Poetry from The New School, and lives in New York City, where she is an administrator in the NYC public schools and facilitates Tongues Afire: A Free Creative Writing Workshop for queer women and trans and gender non-conforming people of color.
Twitter Username: @r_erica_doyle
- proxy , belladonna* (April 1, 2013)
- Norma Farber Award for First Book, Poetry Society of America(2014)
- Lambda Literary Awards, Finalist in Lesbian Poetry(2014)
- Cave Canem First Book Award, Finalist(2007)
- New York Foundation for the Arts, Fellowship in Poetry(2005)
- Hurston Wright Award in Fiction, Finalist(2001)
- Astraea Lesbian Foundation Writers Award in Poetry(2001)
- Mentor, Emerging Poets Fellowship at Poets House
- Mentor, Emerge Surface Be at Saint Marks Poetry Project
- Workshop Facilitator at Saint Marks Poetry Project
- Workshop Facilitator at Poets House
- Facilitator, NYC Regional Workshop at Cave Canem
- Master of Fine Arts in Poetry from The New School (May 2001)
Genres of Interest
Fiction, Creative nonfiction, Children's literature , Poetry