Ms. Sharon Coleman
California, United States
Member Since: 01/05/2013
Sharon Coleman is a fifth generation Northern Californian who has a penchant for learning languages and their entangled word roots. Her poems and blink fiction are scattered generously across paper and electronic journals. Her chapbook Half Circle came out in July 2013 from Finishing Line Press. Richard Silberg says of it: "I see two facets in these poems. One is a haunting, dreamlike symbolism that melds animal and human, vegetal and human, that slips between worlds, linguistic and material, living and dead. The other is narrative, its stories hard-edged, sparely told, that keep twisting suggestively in the mind once read.” She was nominated twice for a Pushcart and once for the Micro Awards for Blink fiction..
She has taught poetry and creative writing and composition at Berkeley City College since 2002 and has taught French Language and Culture, Art and Society, Creative Writing, and a Seminar in Surrealism at the Art Institute of California--San Francisco (a 4 year accredited college) since 2005.
She’s also writes for Poetry Flash, is a member of the Northern California Book Reviewers, co-curates the reading series Lyrics & Dirges, co-directs the Berkeley Poetry Festival and coordinates the art and literary journal Milvia Street.
- Half Circle, chapbook , Finishing Line Press (July 8, 2013)
- Adjunct Instructor at Berkeley City College (August 2002 - )
- Co-director of the Berkeley Poetry Festival at City of Berkeley, California (August 2012 - )
- Part time Instuctor at Art Institute of California—San Franciasco (October 2005 - )
- Master of Fine Arts in Poetics from New College of California (September 2001)
- Master of Arts in Poetics from New College of Califonia (September 2001)
Genres of Interest
Fiction, Creative nonfiction, Poetry